- Chicken pieces (2 to 3 per person) or one chicken cut into pieces
- ½ cup plain flour
- 1 packet of French Onion soup
- 425 ml can Apricot halves and juice
- 425 g can Apricot nectar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Variation: Add 1 tablespoon of Red curry paste and ½ tsp. of freshly grated ginger.
- Dust chicken with flour, salt and pepper (use a plastic bag full of the flour, add chicken and shake!).
- Lightly fry the chicken in a little oil and put to one side (un-dusted/un-fried chicken can be used, but the cooking time will be a little longer).
- Place apricot nectar, apricots and juice into a large pot and add the French onion soup. Mix well and add the chicken pieces.
- Bring everything to the boil then cover and simmer for 1 to 1 ½ hrs.
(Stir every 15 to 20 minutes – you may need to add a little more liquid part way through)
You can reduce the heat by placing the diffuser underneath the camp oven.
For a very slow cook: Move the camp oven down to the side warming plate after 30 minutes. It is important to make sure the camp oven is in contact with the side of the Ozpig to ensure that cooking continues. Rotate the pot every 15 to 20 minutes for even heat distribution.
Serve with fresh cooked rice or potato mash.
Replace the tin of apricots and apricot juice with 10 dry apricots soaked in 2 cups of water for ½ hour.
Replace fresh ginger with Gourmet fresh ginger purchased at a reputable deli
Whenever your recipe call for cooked rice - always cook double the quantity and refrigerate for a quick and easy lunch of fried rice the following day.