2 cups blackberries
3/4 cup sugar
good splash whisky
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4 slices raisin bread cut in half
1. To a camp oven or heavy based saucepan add blackberries, figs, 1/2 cup sugar, whisky and water and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until bubbles are tiny.
2. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a bowl mix together 3 eggs, cream, 1/4 cup sugar, vanilla and a good pinch of cinnamon.
4. Dip bread into custard mix and allow to soak in slightly but not too much.
5. Add bread to a frypan over low heat and cook slowly on both sides for 5 minutes until inside is cooked through and outside is golden.
6. To serve add a couple spoonful’s of blackberry compote to a bowl and tear French toast into bite sized pieces and place on top.
7. Add a generous spoonful of mascarpone cheese and a few mint leaves on top.