Beef and coconut curry
Camp Oven Cooking
- 600 g beef strips (rump, blade or round)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- _ cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup Massaman curry paste
- _ cup water or beef stock
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp Tamarind paste (this can be replaced with lime juice)
- 2 tbsp palm sugar (can be replaced with brown sugar)
- 2 cups green beans cut in half
- _ cup of diced pumpkin
- Preheat your camp oven, add oil then toss in beef strips and cook until golden brown. Do this in 2 to 3 batches and remove from pan.
- Add coconut to the pan and lightly toast,
- Reduce heat to medium and add the curry paste, stir until fragrant.
- Return beef strips to the pan and add fish sauce, tamarind paste, sugar and water or (lime juice and water).
- Return the beef strips to the camp oven and add the green beans and pumpkin, then cook with the lid on for a further 10 to 15 minutes, or until thick and the pumpkin is cooked.
- Serve on a bed of rice
- Assunta�s Tips
- For a mild yet warming flavour � replace Massaman paste with Panang Curry paste. It tastes delicious with different vegetables such as sliced eggplant, zucchini and beans. Red or green curry paste may also be used as another alternative. Replace desiccated coconut with coconut milk.