Port wine casserole with dumplings
Camp Oven Cooking
- 1kg cubed beef (stewing or chuck steak is fine as cooking on the Ozpig makes all cuts of meat tender)
- 2 diced onions
- 2 sliced carrots
- 1 packet frozen peas and corn
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 cups Port wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Couple glugs worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 diced potatoes skin left on
- Sliced button mushrooms ( optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place camp oven on hot Ozpig fire with olive oil and add beef and cook until browned.
- When browned remove meat from pan and set aside on Ozpig warming plate.
- Fry diced onion and garlic in camp oven until onion is clear.
- Add port wine and simmer for a couple of minutes with camp oven lid off.
- Return meat to camp oven along with carrots, frozen veggies, beef stock, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce and mushrooms.
- Check occasionally and add more stock if needed.
- (do not work dough too much or dumplings will lose it's light texture). Then gently drop dumplings into casserole so they sit halfway submerged.
- Place lid back on camp oven and simmer for a further 20 - 30 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through to the centre (test with a skewer).
- Serve with hot rice.