Richo's Hearty Lamb Shanks
Camp Oven Cooking
- 2 x Lamb shanks
- 1 x Onion
- 3 x Cloves of garlic
- 1 x Cup of roughly chopped mushrooms
- 1 x Cup of diced red peppers
- 2 x Sprigs of thyme
- 2 x Bay leaves
- 1 x Handful Basil leaves
- 1 x Cup green olives
- 1 x Cup white wine
- 750ml Tomato passata
- 2 x Cups beef stock
- 2 x Cups cooked cannellini beans
- 1 x Handful of chopped parsley
- 1 x tbs Butter
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Carefully add a little olive oil to a hot pan, then add your chopped garlic, a finely diced onion adn diced bacon and stir together.
- Add mushrooms, red peppers and whole sprigs of thyme and two bay leaves.
- Roughly tear up your fresh basil leaves and add them to the pot.
- Add salt, pepper and green olives, then sweat it off for roughly five minutes.
- Now add your two shanks, white wine and 750ml of tomato passatta (or tinned crushed tomato).
- Add the beef stock, and then drop in a big tablespoon of butter, and simmer over a low heat for rouighly 90 minutes or until the meat is falling off the bone.
- Once the meat is ready add your beans and roughly chopped parsley and stir through for around thirty seconds.
- Serve with a nice glass of white or a cold, crisp beer!