Damper is an old favourite for many campers, and a great comfort food that is very simple to prepare.
- 3 cups of self raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar (or juice of 1/2 lemon)
- 100 grams of fetta cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sundried tomatoes, chopped
- parmesan cheese to taste
- Combine milk with vinegar (or lemon) to curdle. Allow to sit while you work on the flour and butter.
- Mix the butter & flour with your finger tips, then add crumbled fetta to the flour mixture.
- Add the chopped sundried tomatoes(reserving 6) along with the olives.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture andadd the curdled milk.
- Fold everything through with a knife - do notover work. The damper should be sticky to touch or you may need to add a little extra milk.
- Place the dough on a floured board andsprinkle enough extra flour on top to help shapethe damper - lightly push the reserved sundriedtomatoes on top.
- Place on a trivet in a hot camp oven.
- For the last 10 minutes of cooking, place hotcoals or hot heat beads on top of the camp ovento finish the cooking process.
TIP: When baking, place a trivet or cake rack inside your camp oven. This allows the heat to circulate and helps to avoid burning during cooking.
In Recipe Types:
Camp Oven Cooking