4 - 6
For the Steak:
4 x inch thick scotch fillet steaks
Generous amount Ozpig Pork and Beef Rub (I used these together)
2 tablespoons olive oil (generous amount to drizzle over steak before frying)
For the Rice:
2 cups basmati rice
3/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
2 tablespoons boiling-hot water
1 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
½ red onion5 garlic cloves
3 cups chicken stock
cup dried currants
1 lime & ½ lemon for rind and juice
½ lime and ½ lemon for garnish
4 teaspoons sour cream
1 teaspoon salt
Ground pepper to taste
1. Prepare Ozpig Big Pig or Series 2 for cooking. Season scotch fillets with Ozpig Pork and Beef Rubs. Allow to rest for 1 hour till at room temperature.
2. Prepare vegetables – peel and crush garlic, peel and dice onion, chop herbs, slice capsicum. Zest and juice 1 lime and half a lemon (set aside)
3. Place ¾ tsp of saffron into a small measuring jug, add 2 tablespoons of boiling-hot water and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
4. Heat oil in a cast iron pot at medium heat. Add butter, garlic, onion and stir for a few minutes to soften.
5. Add rice, stirring through, add saffron liquid, raisins and stock, salt and pepper and stir through, cover with lid or foil.
6. Place the cast iron pot in the belly of Ozpig, carefully moving the pot around in the coals every 5 minutes. Cook for 10 -12 min, remove pot and place on the OzPig flat plate. Open lid and drizzle in lemon/ lime juice and rind, return lid and finish cooking 5 - 8 minutes till rice has just cooked through.
7. To cook the steak, have at room temperature, drizzle with oil. Ensure grill plate is sizzling hot. Use tongs to place steak down on one side cooking for 5 – 7 minutes, then turn once and cook for another 5 – 7 minutes. Remove onto butchers paper and wrap, allow to rest for 10 minutes, slice and drizzle with chopped herbs, lemon and lime segments and drizzle with lime juice.
8. Enjoy the steak drizzled with lime and with saffron rice & sour cream.
Can coat steaks with rub and chill overnight.
Allow 1 hour for coals to form if cooking the rice in a cast iron pan in the belly of OzPig Big Pig. If making stock using stock powder follow the packet instructions.
Additional vegetables or slivered almonds can be added to the rice as desired.
A trivet can be put under the cast iron pot when in the belly of the Ozpig or when cooking on the flat plate.
|Specification||Traveller||Series 2||Big Pig|
(ground to top of chimney)
(ground to cooking surface)
(side to side)
|Cooking Surface||35cm x 25cm |
|26cm diameter round plate &|
34cm x 24cm large plate
|49cm x 21cm|
Removable stove top
|Door Opening||26cm Diameter||26cm Diameter||41cm x 16cm|
|Chimney Length||3 x 350mm pieces||3 x 300mm pieces||3 x 450mm pieces|
Choosing your Ozpig is just the beginning...
Ozpig stoves are tailor made for the outdoors. We created the Ozpig with a passion for the outdoors and a love for outdoor cooking and heating. With our unique open door, open top design, we have created outdoor stoves that give you flexibility in cooking while maximizing heat for your outdoor space.Learn More
We're excited you're joining us on this journey and we want to provide you with expert guidance, tips and tricks. Here at the Ozpig Oven Smoker Beginners Guide, you'll find everything from temperature and time charts, to understanding different types of fuel and how they work. We're glad you're here, simply click the tiles below to get started!Learn More
BUILT TOUGH TO WITHSTAND AUSSIE CONDITIONSThe Ozpig is born and bred in Australia and we know just how tough the conditions can be. With this knowledge behind us we’ve developed a 3 year limited structural warranty to give you piece of mind when it comes to buying your Ozpig. Unlike other cheaper products on the market only offering a 1 year warranty, we stand behind our product and know with the right care, your Ozpig will last as long you. Buy with Ozpig knowing you’re covered.Learn More
FIND A DEALER
The Ozpig is the clever Aussie invention created by the Shepherd family whose passion for great food and time spent with friends and family bought the concept to life, with a focus on real fire, real flavour and real heat. The Ozpig is more than just a grill. This is the ultimate in outdoor cooking and heating.