1/2 an onion
1 green capsicum
1 stick of celery
4 cloves of garlic, minced
700g chicken thighs
1 jalapeno, finely diced
1 tbsp flour
1L Chicken stock
4 bay leaves
1tsp dried thyme
2 smoked sausages
Salt & Pepper
Steamed rice (to serve)
Cajun spice mix (see below)
Cajun Spice Mix
2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp coarse salt
2 tsp course black pepper
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
1. Dice onion, celery and capsicum. Crush garlic. Finely dice jalapeno. Slice okra and sausage.
2. Prep the Ozpig and a pan for medium high heat. Add some oil to the pan and sear chicken thighs seasoned with salt, pepper and Cajun spice. Cook for around 4-5 minutes until crispy and browned the turn over and repeat on the other side. Once cooked through, deglaze your pan with some beer and set aside.
3. While cooking your chicken, heat the camp oven or casserole dish with oil and bring to a high temperature until the oil begins to smoke. Add flour and cook out until you have a nice dark roux. Make sure to stir this often as it will burn easily.
4. Add the onion, celery and capsicum to the roux, cook for a few minutes until vegetables have softened. Add the garlic and jalapenos and cook out again for a few minutes.
5. Add some beer and cook out into a nice smooth, thick gravy. Add your chicken stock and stir until smooth.
6. Add your chicken, sausage, okra, thyme and bay leaves then season fairly heavily with salt and pepper.
7. Cover with a lid and allow to cook out for an hour or so (or longer) on a low heat.
8. Serve with white steamed rice and sliced spring onions.
|Specification||Traveller||Series 2||Big Pig|
(ground to top of chimney)
(ground to cooking surface)
(side to side)
|Cooking Surface||35cm x 25cm |
|26cm diameter round plate &|
34cm x 24cm large plate
|49cm x 21cm|
Removable stove top
|Door Opening||26cm Diameter||26cm Diameter||41cm x 16cm|
|Chimney Length||3 x 350mm pieces||3 x 300mm pieces||3 x 450mm pieces|
Choosing your Ozpig is just the beginning...
Ozpig stoves are tailor made for the outdoors. We created the Ozpig with a passion for the outdoors and a love for outdoor cooking and heating. With our unique open door, open top design, we have created outdoor stoves that give you flexibility in cooking while maximizing heat for your outdoor space.Learn More
We're excited you're joining us on this journey and we want to provide you with expert guidance, tips and tricks. Here at the Ozpig Oven Smoker Beginners Guide, you'll find everything from temperature and time charts, to understanding different types of fuel and how they work. We're glad you're here, simply click the tiles below to get started!Learn More
BUILT TOUGH TO WITHSTAND AUSSIE CONDITIONSThe Ozpig is born and bred in Australia and we know just how tough the conditions can be. With this knowledge behind us we’ve developed a 3 year limited structural warranty to give you piece of mind when it comes to buying your Ozpig. Unlike other cheaper products on the market only offering a 1 year warranty, we stand behind our product and know with the right care, your Ozpig will last as long you. Buy with Ozpig knowing you’re covered.Learn More
FIND A DEALER
The Ozpig is the clever Aussie invention created by the Shepherd family whose passion for great food and time spent with friends and family bought the concept to life, with a focus on real fire, real flavour and real heat. The Ozpig is more than just a grill. This is the ultimate in outdoor cooking and heating.