This all-in-one pot Indian meal was prepared on the Big Pig using a camp oven. Despite there being a few stages to this recipe, with a bit of preparation, this is a good recipe for the campsite or at home when feeding a small army using just the one pot.
¾ cup ghee
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoon ground green cardamom
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¾ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup water
1 cup onion paste
2 ½ tablespoons almond meal
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon chopped ginger
1 ½ teaspoons poppyseeds
2 teaspoons red chilli powder
1KG diced chicken
¾ cup natural yoghurt, whisked
2 teaspoons salt
¾ teaspoon saffron
1 tablespoon milk
3 ¼ cup basmati rice, rinsed and drained
3 cinnamon sticks
7 green cardamom pods
2 ½ tablespoons ghee
2 brown onions, sliced
1 teaspoon kewra water or rosewater
¾ cup cream
3 tablespoons raisins
1. Prep the Ozpig for a medium heat.
2. Combine the saffron and milk in a small bowl and retain for cooking the rice
3. For the chicken, heat ghee in your pot. Add the spices, onion paste, almond meal, poppy seeds, garlic, ginger and water then cook out for 2 minutes.
4. Add the chicken, stir and cook out for around 7 minutes until the chicken is sealed.
5. Let the heat reduce, add the yoghurt, cook out for around 10 minutes until the chicken has cooked through and a smooth sauce has formed.
6. Remove the chicken and sauce from the pot/camp oven and retain for later. Clean your pot for later.
7. Bring a pot of water to the boil, add the rice, cinnamon sticks and cardamom pods. Boil for around 12 minutes until rice is ¾ cooked and water is absorbed. Remove the rice and retain for later, give your pot a clean for the next step of the cook.
8. Heat the ghee, add the sliced onions and sauté for around 5 minutes until golden brown the remove from the pan.
9. Layer the pan with cooked rice, onions and chicken then poor over the saffron milk, cream and kewra water.
10. Seal the pot with foil and a tight-fitting lid. Position the pot in a warm position either over hot coal or on the Ozpig’s warming plate. Allow the rice to cook through for around 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the lid, adjust the seasoning, garnish with raisins then dish up. We served this dish with a pineapple raiter and some spiced picked onions.
Ingredients for Onion Paste:
3 brown onions
2 bay leaves
1 black cardamom pod
1 cup water
1. Place all ingredients in a pot.
2. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer.
3. Allow to cook for around 20 minutes until onions have softed and water has evaporated.
4. Transfer to a blender and puree.
|Specification||Traveller||Series 2||Big Pig|
(ground to top of chimney)
(ground to cooking surface)
(side to side)
|Cooking Surface||35cm x 25cm |
|26cm diameter round plate &|
34cm x 24cm large plate
|49cm x 21cm|
Removable stove top
|Door Opening||26cm Diameter||26cm Diameter||41cm x 16cm|
|Chimney Length||3 x 350mm pieces||3 x 300mm pieces||3 x 450mm pieces|
Choosing your Ozpig is just the beginning...
Ozpig stoves are tailor made for the outdoors. We created the Ozpig with a passion for the outdoors and a love for outdoor cooking and heating. With our unique open door, open top design, we have created outdoor stoves that give you flexibility in cooking while maximizing heat for your outdoor space.Learn More
We're excited you're joining us on this journey and we want to provide you with expert guidance, tips and tricks. Here at the Ozpig Oven Smoker Beginners Guide, you'll find everything from temperature and time charts, to understanding different types of fuel and how they work. We're glad you're here, simply click the tiles below to get started!Learn More
BUILT TOUGH TO WITHSTAND AUSSIE CONDITIONSThe Ozpig is born and bred in Australia and we know just how tough the conditions can be. With this knowledge behind us we’ve developed a 3 year limited structural warranty to give you piece of mind when it comes to buying your Ozpig. Unlike other cheaper products on the market only offering a 1 year warranty, we stand behind our product and know with the right care, your Ozpig will last as long you. Buy with Ozpig knowing you’re covered.Learn More
FIND A DEALER
The Ozpig is the clever Aussie invention created by the Shepherd family whose passion for great food and time spent with friends and family bought the concept to life, with a focus on real fire, real flavour and real heat. The Ozpig is more than just a grill. This is the ultimate in outdoor cooking and heating.