A few years back we found ourselves in Philadelphia sampling some of the best eats we’ve ever come across. One of our trip favourites was the famous philly cheesesteaks! Packed with thinly sliced scotch steaks, bitey cheese, marinaded capsicum, mushies and onions all packed into a soft long roll, making this always brings back great memories!
(This recipe will make 6)
4 x scotch steaks (chuck in freezer for 45mins to semi-firm up and then slice as thinly as possible, through a deli slicer is optimal but hand cut with a knife does the trick Favourite all purpose rub (we love Four Monkeys Home Base)
2 x large brown onions (cut into slivers)
400g sliced button mushrooms
150g unsalted butter
Marinaded fire roasted red capsicum
500g provolone cheese (cut into thin slices)
6x Soft long rolls
1. Fire up the Big Pig to get a roaring fire going and heat hotplates until lightly smoking
2. Brown onions and cook mushies through (add unsalted butter about half way through cook) – this step takes approx. 10mins
3. Once cooked, set cooked onions and mushies aside in a large bowl
4. Sear off steak in batches, adding more steak as it reduces in size (season with your favourite all purpose rub – we love 4 Monkeys Home Base.
5. Cook steak to desired doneness – we love medium with a bit of crispiness on the edges
6. Add steak to large bowl and mix thoroughly with mushies, onions and capsicum
7. Using large serving spoon, load pile of ingredients back onto BigPig hotplate to a similar size of what your soft long rolls areLoad provolone cheese on top of meat Bang the soft long roll cut lengthways on top and let the cheese melt
8. After 1min, remove contents from grill (a long flat spatula does the trick here)
9. Enjoy your Philly Cheesesteak!
Serve with your favourite pop or ice cold beer. A Philadelphia classic!
|Specification||Traveller||Series 2||Big Pig|
(ground to top of chimney)
(ground to cooking surface)
(side to side)
|Cooking Surface||35cm x 25cm |
|26cm diameter round plate &|
34cm x 24cm large plate
|49cm x 21cm|
Removable stove top
|Door Opening||26cm Diameter||26cm Diameter||41cm x 16cm|
|Chimney Length||3 x 350mm pieces||3 x 300mm pieces||3 x 450mm pieces|
Choosing your Ozpig is just the beginning...
Ozpig stoves are tailor made for the outdoors. We created the Ozpig with a passion for the outdoors and a love for outdoor cooking and heating. With our unique open door, open top design, we have created outdoor stoves that give you flexibility in cooking while maximizing heat for your outdoor space.Learn More
We're excited you're joining us on this journey and we want to provide you with expert guidance, tips and tricks. Here at the Ozpig Oven Smoker Beginners Guide, you'll find everything from temperature and time charts, to understanding different types of fuel and how they work. We're glad you're here, simply click the tiles below to get started!Learn More
BUILT TOUGH TO WITHSTAND AUSSIE CONDITIONSThe Ozpig is born and bred in Australia and we know just how tough the conditions can be. With this knowledge behind us we’ve developed a 3 year limited structural warranty to give you piece of mind when it comes to buying your Ozpig. Unlike other cheaper products on the market only offering a 1 year warranty, we stand behind our product and know with the right care, your Ozpig will last as long you. Buy with Ozpig knowing you’re covered.Learn More
FIND A DEALER
The Ozpig is the clever Aussie invention created by the Shepherd family whose passion for great food and time spent with friends and family bought the concept to life, with a focus on real fire, real flavour and real heat. The Ozpig is more than just a grill. This is the ultimate in outdoor cooking and heating.